For the chenna:
Milk – 12 1/2 cups
White Vinegar or Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp
For the Sugar Syrup:
Sugar – 2 cups
Water – 1 1/2 cups
Refined Flour – 5 tsp
For the thickened Milk:
Sugar – 4 tbsp
Milk – 5 cups
Green cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Saffron – 2 gm
Almonds – 2 tsp, slivered
Pistachios – 2 tsp, slivered
Saffron – a few strands
1. Boil the milk in a pan.
2. Add the white vinegar or lemon juice to curdle.
3. Reduce the heat.
4. Drain the whey and mash the curd cheese well.
5. Keep aside.
6. For the sugar syrup, boil the water in a pot, add the sugar and stir continuously till the sugar dissolves completely.
7. Bring the syrup to a boil, lower the heat, add the refined flour and simmer.
8. Allow to froth while the syrup is simmering.
9. Meanwhile, make 40 pellets from 3/4th of the curd cheese.
10. Gently slide these into the syrup.
11. Continue to simmer until they swell to double their size.
12. Remove the dumplings from the sugar syrup with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
13. Cook the remaining curd cheese in a kadai on a very low heat.
14. Add the sugar and stir continuously.
15. Cook till the mixture begins to leave the sides.
16. Remove from the heat and keep aside to cool.
17. For the thickened milk, put the milk in a kadai, bring to a boil and then simmer till it is reduced to 1/3rd.
18. Add the green cardamom powder and saffron.
19. Remove from the heat and stir in the above mixture.
20. Return to the flame and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes.
21. Remove from the heat and keep aside to cool.
22. When cool, gently lower the dumplings into the mixture.
23. Serve chilled, garnished with almonds, pistachios and saffron.