Dried Green Peas – 1/2 cup
Rice – 1/2 cup
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Onions – 2, medium sized and finely sliced
Ginger – 1 inch piece, minced
Garlic Cloves – 3 to 4, minced
Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tsp
Green Chillies – 2, chopped (optional)
Tamarind Pulp – 1/2 cup, diluted with 1/2 cup water
Chaat Masala – 1 tsp
Juice of half a Lime
1. Wash green peas and soak overnight in water.
2. Drain and rinse in several changes of water.
3. Wash rice and soak in water for 15 minutes.
4. Pressure cook green peas with 1/2 tsp of salt and 2 cups of water for 10 minutes after cooker reaches pressure.
5. Set aside.
6. Heat ghee in a heavy pan over moderate heat.
7. Add onions, ginger and garlic and fry till onions are brown.
8. Sprinkle in spice powders and stir till well blended.
9. Add green peas, green chillies and tamarind pulp and cook till liquid is three quarters absorbed.
10. Drain rice and add to pan.
11. Stir till translucent.
12. Mix in 1 tsp salt and 2 cups of water.
13. Cover pan and put a weight on the lid. Steam cook khichdi over moderate-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, till water is absorbed and rice is tender.
14. Remove pan from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes.
15. Sprinkle chaat masala and lime juice.
16. Serve hot.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !