Turnips – 1 1/4 kg, quartered
Onions – 1/4 cup, finely sliced
Salt to taste
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/4 tsp
Roasted gram – 2 tbsp, powdered
Vegetable oil for shallow frying
1. Fry the onions in 1 tbsp of oil till golden brown and crisp.
2. Remove and grind coarsely.
3. Boil the turnips in water.
4. When tender, take a few pieces of turnip at a time, wrap them in a muslin cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
5. Mash the turnips.
6. Add the salt, red chilli powder, garam masala, roasted gram powder and the onions.
7. Mix and knead well.
8. Divide the mixture into 8 portions.
9. Flatten and shape each into patties with wet palms.
10. Heat the oil on a griddle.
11. Shallow fry the patties till golden brown.
12. Serve hot.