Rice – 1 cup
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 3 tbsp
Almonds – 10, blanched
Raisins – 30, washed, lightly fried
Dry Coconut – 1 tbsp, cut in 1/2cm cubes, lightly fried
Green Cardamoms – 6, skinned, seeds crushed coarsely
Saffron – a few strands, soaked in 3tbsp hot milk
1. Cook the rice in a pan till half done.
2. Drain and keep aside to cool.
3. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in another pan.
4. Add the rice and mix well.
5. Add the sugar, almonds, raisins, coconut and green cardamom powder.
6. Mix well.
7. Pour the saffron mixture over the rice.
8. Heat the remaining ghee and mix with the rice.
9. Cover the pan with a heavy lid.
10. Keep some hot ashes on it and a few embers under the pan for 10-15 minutes till the rice is completely done and the grains are separated.
11. Alternately, bake in a moderate oven for 10 minutes.