Split Black Gram – 1 cup, soaked overnight
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Green Chillies – 4, clit
Onion – 1, sliced, fried
Garam Masala – 1/4 tsp
Mango Powder – 1 tsp
Black Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Rub the split gram with your hands to remove the skin. Drain.
2. Heat the ghee in a pan.
3. Add the cumin seeds and green chillies.
4. When they start spluttering, add the black gram and salt.
5. Stir fry for 4-5 minutes.
6. Pour 2 cups of water, cook on a high flame till little water remains.
7. Lower the flame and simmer till the grains are cooked and the mixture is dry.
8. Stir gently and occasionally so that the grains don’t break and stick to the bottom of the pan.
9. Transfer to a bowl.
10. Garnish with fried onion, garam masala, mango powder and black pepper powder.
11. A dollop of butter or 1 tbsp of hot ghee can be added to enhance the flavour.