Rice – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tblsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onions – 2, medium, finely sliced
Tomatoes – 2, medium, finely sliced
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, finely sliced
Cloves – 4
Black Cardamom – 1
Black Peppercorns – 6
Salt – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 100 gms, minced
Mint Leaves – 5 to 6 sprigs, minced
Green Chillies – 2, seeded and finely chopped
1. Wash rice and soak in water for 15 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a heavy based pan over moderate heat.
3. Sprinkle in cumin seeds and when they splutter, add onions, tomatoes and ginger.
4. Stir for about 5 minutes, till onions and tomatoes are well cooked.
5. Remove from heat and transfer contents to a bowl.
6. Drain rice and add to pan with remaining whole spices, salt and 2 cups of water.
7. Place pan over moderate heat and cook for about 10 minutes till rice is three quarters done.
8. Drain rice and reserve water.
9. Divide rice into 3 portions.
10. Spread one portion of rice in pan.
11. Sprinkle with coriander and mint leaves and chillies.
12. Arrange another portion of rice on top and spread tomato-onion mixture over it.
13. Finally, cover with remaining rice.
14. Sprinkle in reserved rice water and cover pan with a tight lid.
15. Place pan on very low heat and simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes, till rice is cooked, taking care not to let it burn at the bottom.
16. Stir lightly and serve hot.