Prawns – 1/2 kg, shelled and cleaned
Fresh Coconut – 1/2 cup, grated
Green Chillies – 6, slit, to garnish
Mustard Oil – 1/4 cup
For the Mustard Paste:
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 cup
Green Chillies – 3
Salt to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Put the mustard seeds and green chillies in a blender and blend to make a fine paste.
2. Stir in the salt and turmeric powder.
3. Put the prawns in a shallow dish and rub with the mustard paste, stir in the coconut.
4. Level the prawns, arrange the green chillies over them and dribble with the oil.
5. Fill a large pan with about 2 inch of water.
6. Place a trivet in the centre on which the dish of prawns can be placed.
7. It should be above the level of water.
8. Bring the water to a boil then lower the heat, cover and steam the prawns for about 25 minutes.
9. If the prawns are steamed in a perfoated steaming container the liquid will drain out.
10. In an ordinary dish some liquid will collect around the prawns and form a mustard-coloured gravy.
11. Serve with rice.