Tamarind – large lemon size
Red Chillies – 6
Toor Dal – 1 tsp
Channa Dal – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – a little
Curry Leaves – few
Sambar Powder – 4 tsp
Dry Manathakkali Vathal or Sundaikai Vathal – 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Gingelly Oil – as required
1. Extract tamarind in 3 cups of water.
2. Heat oil in a deep pan, season with mustard seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves.
3. Add and fry red chillies and the dals.
4. To this add and fry the dried vathals well.
5. Add and fry the sambar powder for just 5 seconds.
6. Immediately add the tamarind extract and required salt.
7. Allow to boil for 15-20 minutes.
8. A little rice flour paste maybe added to make the sambar thick.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !