Water – 6 litres
Refined Flour – 1/2 kg
Jaggery – 1 3/4 kg
Coconut Milk – 12 cups, extracted from 3 medium size coconuts
Ghee – 250 gms
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cashewnut Slivers – 100 gms
1. Using 2 cups water, knead the flour well to make a soft dough.
2. Reserve 3 cups of water and add the rest a little at a time to the dough to make thin batter.
3. Strain the batter through a muslin cloth to remove any lumps.
4. Set aside for a few hours and decant the clean liquid from the top.
5. Melt the jaggery in 6 cups of water and strain.
6. Mix the batter, jaggery syrup and coconut milk together in a heavy vessel.
7. The consistency should be that of milk.
8. Bring to boil stirring constantly, till quite thick.
9. Stir in the ghee in small quantities, stirring all the time, till the mixture forms a soft ball.
10. Add sugar, cardamom powder and half the cashewnut slivers.
11. Cook over low heat till the ghee separates.
12. Remove from fire and pour into a greased tray.
13. Sprinkle the remaining cashewnut slivers on top and smooth the surface.