Spinach Puree – 1/2 cup, thick
Bread Crumbs – 1 1/2 to 2 cups + a little bit more for frying
Pepper – 1 tsp, powdered fresh
Mustard – 1 tsp, powdered fresh
Salt – a little, to taste
Cheese – 2 tblsp, grated
Flour – 1 tsp, mixed with 1/2 cup water (or 1 Egg can be used)
Oil for frying
For Spinach Puree:
Spinach – 8 cups, chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Flour – 3 tblsp
Onion – 1, minced
Pepper Powder – 2 tsp
Fresh Herbs – 2 tsp, minced
1. To prepare spinach puree, boil spinach with very little water. Pass through a liquidser and set aside puree.
2. Melt butter, add onion and garlic, fry on low heat till translucent.
3. Add flour, stir fry till lightly browned.
4. Add spinach puree along with salt, pepper powder and herbs. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. The spinach puree should be thick.
6. Mix all the ingredients, except oil, flour/egg and breadcrumbs, to form a smooth dough.
7. If you are using egg, mix egg with all ingredients.
8. Take out small balls of dough, pat into a cutlet and set aside.
9. When about to serve, dip cutlets in flour paste, roll in bread crumbs and shallow fry.
10. Serve with ketchup.
a) If you are using eggs, there is no need to roll in flour paste.
b) If you require a North Indian flavour, add minced chillies, chilli and garam masala powder (to taste) to the dough.