Spinach Puree – 1 cup (seasoned)
Bread – 12 slices
Butter – a little extra
Cheese – 1 cup, grated
Muffin Cups – 12 (or Aluminium baking cups)
For Spinach Puree:
Spinach – 8 cups, chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Flour – 3 tblsp
Onion – 1, minced
Pepper Powder – 2 tsp
Fresh Herbs – 2 tsp, minced
1. To prepare spinach puree, boil spinach with very little water. Pass through a liquidser and set aside puree.
2. Melt butter, add onion and garlic, fry on low heat till translucent.
3. Add flour, stir fry till lightly browned.
4. Add spinach puree along with salt, pepper powder and herbs. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. The spinach puree should be thick.
6. Add 1/2 cup of grated cheese, mix thoroughly and set aside.
7. Grease muffin cups with butter.
8. Discard edges of bread slices, press slice into the cup.
9. Brush the inside of the slices with butter, bake in a hot oven at 200C for 10 to 12 minutes or till crisp.
10. Prepare all cups this, set aside.
11. When about to serve, fill bread cups with the spinach-cheese sauce.
12. Sprinkle some more cheese on top and grill in a hot oven till cheese melts for 5 to 8 minutes at 220C.
13. Serve hot with carrot or tomato soup.