Chicken – 1 1/4 kg, skinned and cut into 8 pieces
Onions – 5 large
Butter – 2 tblsp
Vegetable Oil – 2 tblsp
Tomatoes – 2, roughly cut into 8 pieces each
Pepper – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1 1/2 inches
Dried Red Chillies – 2 whole
Salt – 2 to 3 tsp
Flour – 1 tblsp
Milk – 1 1/4 cups
Cream – 1/2 cup
Potatoes – 4 medium, peeled and cut into 1 cm squares
Seedless Raisins – 50 gms
Eggs – 2
Oil for frying potatoes
Grind to a paste:
Garlic – 6 cloves
Fresh Ginger Root – 1 inch piece
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
1. Heat butter and oil and fry 1 onion in it till pale gold.
2. Add paste of garlic, ginger and cumin seeds and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add pieces of chicken and fry chicken on high heat till nicely browned.
4. Add tomato, pepper, cinnamon stick, chillies and 1 1/4 tsp salt and mix well.
5. Add 1 cup water and bring to boil.
6. Lower heat, cover and simmer till chicken is cooked.
7. Remove pieces of chicken from gravy and keep aside.
8. In a small bowl mix flour and 4 tblsp milk to a smooth paste and then add to gravy.
9. Pour remaining milk into gravy and bring gravy to boil. Boil for 3 minutes.
10. Strain gravy through a sieve and discard chillies and cinnamon stick.
11. Add cream to gravy. Heat gravy and simmer for 3 minutes.
12. Shred chicken, discard bones and add chicken flesh to gravy.
13. In 6 tblsp oil fry 4 onions till brown. Remove and keep aside.
14. Boil potato squares for 2 to 3 minutes in 2 cups water with 1 1/2 tsp salt. Strain.
15. Pour oil in a frying pan and heat to boiling.
16. Add potato squares and fry till cooked and golden. Remove and keep aside.
17. In the same oil, fry seedless raisins for 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
18. In a baking dish, pour half chicken mixture. Over this sprinkle half the fried onions, potato squares and seedless raisins.
19. Over this pour remaining chicken mixture and sprinkle other half of fried onions, potato squares and seedless raisins.
20. Separate whites from yolks of eggs. Beat egg whites till stiff then blend in egg yolks.
21. Spread beaten eggs over chicken mixture and bake in moderate oven till eggs are set.
22. Serve at once.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !