Canned Pineapple Rings or Chunks – 800 gms, in natural juice
Vegetable Oil – 1 tblsp
Black Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Onion Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fresh Root Ginger – 2 tsp
Dried Chillies – 1 tsp, crushed
Raisins – 1/3 cup, seedless
Granulated Sugar – 1/2 cup
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
1. Drain the pineapple in a colander and reserve the juice. Chop the pineapple finely.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over a medium heat and immediately add the mustard seeds.
3. As soon as they pop, add the cumin seeds, then the onion seeds.
4. Add the ginger and chillies, and stir-fry the spices briskly for 30 seconds until they release their flavours.
5. Add the pineapple, raisins, sugar and salt.
6. Add 1 1/4 cups of the juice and stir into the pineapple mixture.
7. Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered for 20-25 minutes.