Sesame Seeds – 3/4 cup
Salt – 1 tsp
Water – 1/2 to 2/3 cup
Fresh Green Chillies – 2, seeded and diced
Fresh Coriander – 4 tblsp, chopped
Fresh Mint – 1 tblsp, chopped
Tamarind Paste – 1 tblsp
Granulated Sugar – 2 tblsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Onion Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – 4
Onion Rings – to garnish
Sliced Chillies – to garnish
Fresh Coriander Leaves – to garnish
1. Dry roast the sesame seeds by putting them into a pan without adding any oil.
2. Cook over medium to high heat, tossing them occasionally so that they brown evenly all over.
3. Watch them carefully as they will burn, if left.
4. Leave the seeds to cool and then grind them until they become a grainy powder.
5. Transfer the sesame powder to a bowl. Add the salt, water, diced chillies, coriander, mint, tamarind paste and sugar, and use a form to mix everything together.
6. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. The mixture should have a sweet and sour flavour.
7. Add a little more tamarind paste, if it needs to be more sour or sugar to sweeten if required.
8. Heat the oil in a heavy pan and fry the onion seeds and curry leaves together.
9. Tip the sesame seed paste into the pan and stir-fry for about 45 seconds.
10. Transfer the chutney to a serving dish and leave to cool completely.
11. Garnish with onion rings, sliced green and red chillies and fresh coriander leaves and serve.