Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Vegetable Oil – 3 tblsp
Granulated Sugar – 4 tsp
Green Cardamom Pods – 4 to 5, bruised
Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
Cloves – 4
Bay Leaf – 1, crumpled
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Hot Water – 2 cups
1. Wash the rice, put it in a bowl and pour over water to cover. Leave to soak for 20 minutes.
2. Drain the rice in a coriander shaking it a little as you do so. Drain well to remove excess water. Set aside.
3. In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, sprinkle the granulated sugar over the surface and wait until it has caramelized. Do not stir.
4. Reduce the heat to low and add the spices and bay leaf.
5. Allow to sizzle for 15-20 seconds, then add the rice and salt. Fry gently, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
6. Pour in the water and bring to the boil. Let it boil steadily for 2 minutes then reduce the heat to very low. Cover the pan and cook for 8 minutes.
7. Remove the rice from the heat and leave to stand for 6 to 8 minutes.
8. Fluff up the rice with a fork and serve hot.