Okra – 450 gms
Ground Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Ground Cumin – 1 tblsp
Ground Coriander – 1 tblsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Granulated Sugar – 1/4 tsp
Lemon Juice – 1 tblsp
Fresh Coriander – 2 tblsp, chopped
Oil – 1 tblsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Black Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fresh Tomatoes – chopped, to garnish
Poppadams to serve
1. Wash, dry and trim the stalks away from the top of the okra, being careful not to pierce the pod itself, otherwise the sticky juices will be released and will affect the final dish. Set the okra aside. In a bowl, mix together turmeric, chilli, powders, cumin, ground coriander, salt, sugar, lemon juice and fresh coriander.
2. Heat the oil in large, heavy pan. Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds and fry for about 2 minutes or until they start to splutter.
3. Scrape in the spice mixture and continue to fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add the okra, cover and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes or until tender.
5. Garnish with chopped fresh tomatoes and serve with poppadums.