Onion – 1
Garlic – 2 cloves
Basmati Rice – 1 3/4 cups
Vegetable Oil – 3 tblsp
Water – 3 cups
Fresh Corn – 2/3 cup
Red or Green Pepper – 1, seeded and chopped
Carrot – 1 large, grated
Fresh Parsley to garnish
1. Chop the onion and crush the garlic cloves.
2. Wash the rice in a sieve and then soak in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain very thoroughly.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion for a few minutes over a medium heat until it starts to soften.
4. Add the rice to the pan and fry for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the rice from sticking to the base of the pan. Stir in the crushed garlic.
5. Pour in the water and stir into the rice well. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the corn over the rice, spread the chopped pepper on top and sprinkle over the grated carrot.
7. Cover tightly and steam over a low heat until the rice is tender, then mix with a fork.
8. Pile the vegetables and rice on to a serving plate and garnish with parsley.
9. Serve hot.