Brown Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Vegetable Oil – 2 tblsp
Ghee – 1 tblsp
Onion – 1, chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Tomatoes – 3, peeled and chopped
Dhania-Jeera Powder – 2 tsp
Carrots – 2, coarsely grated
Vegetable Stock – 3 3/4 cups
Spinach Leaves – 275 gms
Cashew Nuts – 1/2 cup, unsalted
Salt – as per taste
Ground Black Pepper – as required
Naan – to serve
1. Wash the basmati rice. Place it in a bowl, cover with cold water and leave to soak for 20 minutes. Drain the rice and place it in a large pan of boiling salted water; bring back to the boil and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Heat the oil and ghee or butter in a large pan and fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirringg, until the mixture thickens. Drain the rice, add it to the pan and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring, until all the grains of rice are coated.
3. Stir in the dhania-jeera powder, then add the carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in the stock and stir well to mix.
4. Bring to the boil, then cover tightly and simmer over a very gentle heat for 20-25 minutes until the rice is tender.
5. Lay the spinach on the surface of the rice, cover again and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, until the spinach has wilted. Fold the spinach into the rest of the rice.
6. Dry-fry the cashew nuts until lightly browned and sprinkle over the rice mixture.
7. Serve with naan.