Aubergine (Brinjals/Kathirikai) – 1 large, round and purple
Oil – 6 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1 tsp
Black Gram Dal – 2 tblsp
Salt to taste
Tamarind Ball – a small lime sized ball
Green Chillies – 6 to 7
Coriander Leaves – a bunch
1. Smear oil on the brinjals and roast on an open flame till the skin is completely charred and the vegetable is soft. Peel brinjal, mash and set aside.
2. Fry in 2 tsp of oil the mustard seeds and asafoetida powder.
3. Fry the black gram dal in the remaining oil.
4. Grind together salt, tamarind, green chillies, mustard seeds, asafoetida and coriander leaves. Add the mashed brinjals and blend for a minute or two.
5. Add the dal and grind for a minute.
6. Serve with rice.