Ridge Gourd – 1/4 kg
Oil – 1 1/2 tblsp
Black Gram Dal – 1 1/2 tblsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Green Chillies – 3
Coriander Leaves – a small bunch
Tamarind – marble sized ball
Fresh Coconut – 2 tblsp grated
Salt to taste
1. Peel the ridge gourd. Chop and peel fine. Set aside. Use the flesh to make a kootu.
2. Fry in 2 tsp oil the black gram dal, bengal gram dal, mustard seeds, asafoetida powder, red chillies and green chillies. Set aside.
3. Fry in the remaining oil the chopped ridge gourd peel for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Blend both sets of fried ingredients to a paste, adding the coriander leaves, tamarind, grated coconut, salt and a little water.
5. Serve with hot rice and ghee.