Sago (Javvarisi) – 1/2 cup
Sour Buttermilk – 1/2 cup
Bengal Gram Dal or Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Green Chillies – 2, chopped fine
Salt to taste
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – a small bunch, chopped fine
Oil for frying
1. Soak the sago in the buttermilk for half an hour.
2. Add the bengal gram flour or rice flour, red chilli powder, ghee, green chillies, asafoetida powder, salt and coriander leaves to make a stiff batter. Add some water if necessary.
3. Heat oil in a kadhai. Wet both your hands. Take a ladle of batter and place it on the palm of your left hand. Flatten the batter with your right hand. Slip the batter gently into the oil.
4. Fry till golden brown and crisp.
5. Drain on a sheet of kitchen paper.
6. Serve hot with chutney.