Green Gram Dal – 1 cup
Tamarind – lime sized ball
Green Chillies – 6, slit lengthwise
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves – small bunch, chopped fine for garnishing
Ghee – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli – 1, halved
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
1. Pressure cook the dal and set aside.
2. Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water and extract the juice. Set aside.
3. Heat 2 tsp of ghee and add all the ingredients for tempering.
4. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the green chillies, tamarind juice, turmeric powder and salt.
5. Simmer till the raw smell of the tamarind disappears.
6. Mix in the cooked dal. Simmer for a few minutes for the flavours to blend.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
8. Serve hot.