Small Violet Brinjals – 1/4 kg
Karamani – 2 tblsp, dry
Tamarind Extract – very little
Salt as required
Jaggery as required
Sambar Powder – 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
Oil for frying
1. Cut brinjals, lengthwise into 4 to 6 pieces according to size.
2. Soak in salted water till required. Wash well 2 to 3 times.
3. Pressure cook karamani in enough water till one whistle or till cooked soft.
4. Drain off excess water after cooling it.
5. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard and then brinjals.
6. Fry for 1 or 2 minutes and then add cooked karamani, tamarind extract, very little water, salt, jaggery and sambar powder.
7. Reduce flame, cover with lid and cook till curry becomes dry and brinjals are cooked.