Malabar Yam or Elephant Yam – 1/4 kg
Small Onions – 3 tblsp, finely cut
Tamarind Extract – 2 tblsp
Salt as required
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Jaggery – little
Red Chilli Powder or Dal Rasam Powder – 3/4 tsp
Oil for frying
Mustard for seasoning
Red Chillies – few, for seasoning
1. Scrape outer skin and slice yam into thin pieces.
2. Pressure cook with little water sprinkled on top till soft.
3. Cool it to room temperature. Remove excess water and mash well.
4. Heat oil, add seasonings and then onion.
5. Fry till brown and then add mashed yam, tamarind extract, salt, chilli powder, jaggery and stir well till it becomes a thick curry.
6. Garnish with curry leaves and serve with cooked rice.