White Bread Flour – 2 1/2 cups
Salt – 1 tsp
Dried Yeast – 1 tsp
Plain Yogurt – 4 tblsp
Melted Butter or Ghee – 1 tblsp, plus 2-3 tblsp for brushing
Garlic – 1 clove, finely chopped
Black Onion Seeds – 1 tsp
Fresh Coriander – 1 tblsp
Clear Honey – 2 tsp
1. Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, cream the yeast with the yogurt. Set aside for 15 mins.
2. Add the yeast mixture to the flour with 1 tblsp of melted butter or ghee and add the chopped garlic, black onion seeds and chopped coriander mixing to a soft dough.
3. Tip out the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap and leave it to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in bulk.
4. Preheat the oven to 230C/450F.
5. Place three heavy baking sheets in the oven to heat. Turn the dough on to a lightly floured surface and punch down. Divide into three equal pieces and shape each into a ball.
6. Cover two of the balls of dough with oiled plastic wrap and roll out the third into a teardrop shape. Preheat the grill to its highest setting. Place the single naan on the hot baking sheets and bake for 3-4 minutes or until puffy.
7. Remove the naan from the oven and place under the hot grill for a few seconds or until browned slightly. Wrap in a dish towel to keep warm.
8. Brush with melted butter or ghee.
9. Serve warm.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !