Grated Coconut – 3/4 cup, fresh
Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Red Chillies – 6 to 8
Oil – a little
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
2. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal, red chillies and asafoetida. Fry till golden brown.
3. Set aside.
4. In the same pan, add coconut and fry till it looses moisture and turns golden brown. Allow it to cool.
5. Grind all the ingredients including salt to a coarse powder.
6. Store in an air-tight container.
1. Mix two-three tblsp of this powder with a serving of cooked rice and a tsp of ghee.
2. Serve hot with chips or appalam or papad.