250 gms Tomatoes, grated
150 gms Tuvar Dal
100 gms Coconut, grated
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
4 Green Chillies, slit
a few Curry Leaves
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 inch piece of Ginger, grated
handful of Coriander leaves, chopped
a big pinch of Asafoetida
Salt and Chilli powder to taste
1. Grind coconut and ginger to a paste.
2. Boil dal in water with turmeric powder and salt till the dal becomes very soft.
3. Mash the boiled dal to a paste.
4. Heat 4 tblsp of oil and add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
5. When the seeds stop tossing, add coconut paste, curry leaves.
6. Fry nicely and add tomatoes.
7. When the mixture turns thick, add dal and chillies and 2 cups of water.
8. Cook till the curry turns a little thick.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.