250 gms Karela or Bittergourds, peeled and sliced
100 gms Tomatoes, grated
3 tblsp Besan or Gramflour
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
4 Green Chillies, slit
handful of Coriander leaves
1 tblsp Dhania-Jeera powder
1 tsp Ginger strips
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
a big pinch of Asafoetida
Salt and Chilli powder to taste
1. Apply salt on karelas and set aside for a few hours.
2. Then wash salted karelas in 3-4 changes of water.
3. Deep fry karelas to a golden colour.
4. Dissolve besan in 1 glass water.
5. Heat 2 tblsp oil and add asafoetida, ginger and cumin seeds.
6. When the seeds stop tossing, add tomatoes and chillies, all the spices and salt.
7. Cook till the oil comes out.
8. Then add the vegetables and besan.
9. Cook till the curry becomes a little thick.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.