Whole milk – 1 quart
Sugar, honey, maple syrup, strawberry syrup, malt, molasses or artificial sweetener – 1/4 cup each
Instant non-fat dry milk – 1 cup (optional)
Plain yogurt – 1 tbsp (rounded)
Favorings or fruit
1. Scald 1 quart of milk and stir in 1/4 cup sugar, honey, maple syrup, strawberry syrup, malt, molasses or artificial sweetener.
2. If other flavors are desired, after dissolving the sugar or honey, stir in 1 tbsp of extract, such as vanilla, lemon, almond or peppermint or instant coffee.
3. Another time, try adding 1 tsp of ground spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, ginger, or your own special combination. Add the instant nonfat dry milk, cool the mixture to 110F and stir in the culture. Pour into warm containers, cover and incubate.
4. For jam, preserve or peanut butter flavors, put 1 tbsp of the flavoring into the bottom of 1 cup containers and pour the warm milk-yogurt mixture over. Cover and incubate as usual. If fresh, canned or dried fruit is desired, it is best to make such additions to the yogurt after it has incubated. The acid content of some fruits can curdle the milk-yogurt mixture and prevent proper fermentation.
5. Whenever you are flavoring yogurt, always remember to leave 1 cup plain, so that you will have fresh starter for the next batch.