Chicken – 500 gms
Spinach – 500 gms
Green chillies – 6, chopped
Bay leaves – 2
Green cardamoms – 4
Cinnamon stick – 1 (1 inch long)
Onion – 2, chopped
Ginger and garlic pastes – 2 tsp
Tomatoes – 2, chopped
Yogurt – 4 tbsp, beaten
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
1. Boil the spinach leaves with salt for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water. Puree in a blender with the green chillies.
2. Fry the bay leaves, cardamoms and cinnamon in hot oil in a heavy bottomed pan for a few seconds till aromatic. Add the onions and fry for about 3 minutes or till they turn are lightly browned.
3. Add the ginger-garlic pastes and fry for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and fry for about 3 minutes.
5. Add the chicken and sprinkle salt to taste. Mix well. Cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the spinach puree. Cook on low heat for about 8 minutes or till the chicken is tender.
7. Stir in the yogurt and the garam masala. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
8. Serve with rice.
9. If needed, a handful of fresh fenugreek leaves can be added.