Keto Bulletproof Coffee? What! Butter in your coffee! Did I hear it right? Well, if you have in some tiny way connected to the Ketogenic Diet fraternity, I’m sure would have heard people swear by this. If you haven’t, the name may either scare you or make you think of how weird people can get!
Don’t worry, there is no gun powder or any such weird ingredient out there. In fact, it is one of the sure shot ways to kick start your brain and get into high octane mode early in the morning. The term “Bulletproof Coffee” was coined by an entrepreneur and food enthusiast Dave Asprey. BPC (bulletproof coffee) as it is most fondly known in the fraternity today, is an excellent breakfast or accompaniment that complements the Low Carbohydrate High Fat regime promoted by Keto diet. It is as healthy as the coffees can be because it contains natural saturated fats (from butter & Coconut oil) that helps the brain in getting the right amount of nutrition, keeps hunger pangs at bay and prevents brain fog – a symptom we all suffer from due to heavy carb loaded food that inhibits clarity of thought & active functioning of the brain.
This concept of having butter in coffee is not new. In fact, it originated in 6th Century Ethiopia where they added Ghee in their coffee (yes you heard right, Ghee), but it gained popularity from the Himalayan region of Tibet, where people added Yak butter to their coffees or tea to manage themselves in nearly -10 degrees Celsius.
As far as taste goes, at first, I was extremely apprehensive, but surprisingly, it tastes just like regular coffee. I fact, I will go a step ahead and say it tastes better than normal coffee, without the after taste of milk or sugar. I’m now addicted to it and just 1 cup a day is more than enough!
Without much ado, lets go look at the recipe for Keto Bulletproof Coffee. To make the Keto Bulletproof Coffee, you will need a hand blender or even a regular mixie with a tall jar will do. The fats need to be emulsified to get a creamy concoction, which is not possible just with stirring.
Keto Bulletproof Coffee
- 30 ml Fresh Coffee Decoction [or] Instant Coffee Powder – 1 tbsp
- 20 gms Unsalted cooking butter
- 1 tblsp Cold pressed Coconut oil 10 ml
- 1 tblsp Fresh Cream optional
- 1 drop Stevia/ Artificial sweetener optional
- 150 ml Hot water
- Bring water to a boil.
- In a tall mixie jar, put together the butter, coconut oil and coffee decoction/powder.
- Pour a small amount of hot water in the jar to melt the butter & close the lid tightly. Add Stevia here if required.
- Pulse this in small bursts until you see a creamy liquid.
- Pour in a mug & add in the remaining hot water.
- If you want some cream, you can whisk it and pour it on top.
- Serve hot.