Chicken Couscous is an African originated dish. Couscous, small grain-like balls, is made from crushed broken wheat, similar to the way pasta is made. It is a staple dish across most of Northern Africa.
While couscous is traditionally made from broken wheat, in a few other parts of the world, it is also made from Pearl Millet (Bajra) and Sorghum (jowar). Cooked in pretty much the same way, the end product is non-sticky like balls. It is quite popular in the western countries and slowly making its way into Indian cuisine too. Couscous is usually served with a stew like dish.
If you make it with millets, it becomes a reasonably nutritious dish, which is also gluten-free. In this Chicken Couscous recipe, we bring in some citrus flavours by allowing couscous to cook in orange juice. This mildly spicy and flavourful dish is served with spiced chicken breast that can either be mixed into the dish or served on a bed of couscous. Couscous is a very versatile dish and is used as a salad base for many recipes.
So go, ahead and experiment with this African inspired cuisine and let us know what you think.
Serves – 2 – 3
- Chicken breast – 2 (boneless and skinless)
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Oregano – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Olive Oil – 4 tbsp
- Orange Juice – 2 Cups (Fresh)
- Chicken Stock – 3 Cups (Alternatively use Warm Water)
- Dried berries/ raisins – 50g
- Garam Masala/ Curry Powder – 2 tsp
- Garlic – 2 Large cloves, minced.
- Red Capsicum – 2 large, diced
- Couscous – 2 Cups
- Basil Leaves – 3-4, cut into strips
- Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- Mix coriander, salt, ginger, oregano, cinnamon, cumin and pepper powder.
- Cut the chicken breast into strips and rub it into the spice mix well. Set it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring orange juice and chicken stock to a boil. Add in the raisins, berries and garam masala for flavour.
- Remove from heat and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- In a pan, heat half the oil and cook the chicken until it is browned and just done. Remove, set this aside and keep it covered.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining olive oil, saute the garlic, onion and capsicum until just done.
- Pour in the juice/broth mixture and bring it to a boil once more.
- Add in the couscous and turn off the flame. Allow it to absorb all liquid, approx 5-10 minutes.
- Once done, season with some salt, pepper and chopped coriander and basil leaves.
- Mix in the diced chicken.
- Serve hot with a slice of lemon.