Garlic chutney – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1 cup
Water – 5 cups
Plain yogurt – 1 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Fresh lemon juice – 2 tsp
Fresh coriander leaves – optional
1. To prepare the chutney, make a smooth paste of finely chopped 1 clove garlic, 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1/8 tsp coriander powder and 1/8 tsp cumin powder.
2. Mix 1 cup water with the plain yogurt and beat with a fork until smooth.
3. Add the turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp of garlic chutney to the beaten yogurt.
4. Beat again to make an evenly smooth liquid and set the bowl aside.
5. Boil 4 cups of water in a medium size pot along with salt.
6. While you are waiting for the water to boil, clean the urad dal under running water and drain.
7. When the water boils, add the drained urad dal into it.
8. Bring the water and dal to another boil and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
9. Stir once, cover the pot and lower the heat to between low and medium. Cook the dal for 20 minutes until its grains are easily mashed when pressed between two fingers.
10. Remove the covered pot from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
11. Add the yogurt mixture, stir once and return the pot to low heat.
12. Simmer for 10 more minutes and keep stirring frequently. By this time the yogurt will have combined with the dal to form a thick sauce like mixture.
13. Turn the heat off and stir in the fresh lemon juice.
14. If needed, top this with some finely chopped fresh coriander leaves for garnishing.