Masoor dal – 2 cups
Garam masala – 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric – 1 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Oil – 1/3 cup
Onion – 1 1/2, chopped
Garlic – 1, chopped and separated
Ginger root – 1, chopped
Chillies – 2, chopped
Tomatoes – 2, chopped
Coriander – 1 bunch, chopped
Water as required
1. Rinse masoor dal thoroughly, until water is clear. Boil the dal.
2. Cook half way for about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Add 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp turmeric and salt.
4. As masoor dal cooks, uncovered, water will evaporate and mixture will thicken.
5. Add more water to keep dal loose, like the texture of thick cream. When dal is soft, turn off heat.
6. Heat oil in wok. When oil is very hot, add onions and cook until tender and traslucent but not browned.
7. Add garlic, ginger and chillies. Continue to fry until onions are deep yellow. Add remaining 1 tsp each of garam masala and turmeric.
8. Do not allow spices to burn. Keep stirring until mixture starts to stick.
9. Add tomatoes and coriander. Cook until tomato softens.
10. Pour in masoor dal and simmer to blend flavours. Taste and add more salt if needed.