Cabbage – 2 cups, chopped
Yellow moong dal – 1/3 cup, rinsed and soaked for 2 to 3 hours.
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 to 3
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Green chilli – 1, chopped
Coriander – 3 tbsp, chopped
Coconut – 1 tbsp, grated
Sugar – 1 tsp, optional
Salt as per taste
1. Wash and drain the soaked moong dal. Keep aside.
2. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the curry leaves, asafoetida and green chilli and stir.
3. Add the cabbage, moong dal and salt. Saute over a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes till the dal softens a little.
4. Transfer into a bowl and when it cools slightly add the coriander, coconut, sugar, lemon juice and mix well.
5. Serve chilled or at room temperatue.