Kesari is a very popular South Indian dessert/sweet made with Rava (Sooji) for any occasion – festivals, weddings or even a weekend get-together. This variation is made using carrot and is healthy.
Rava (Sooji) – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
Carrot – 2 cups, grated and ground to a pulp
Water – 3 cups
Cashew nuts – handful
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 1/2 cup
1. Heat little ghee in a pan.
2. Add the cashewnuts and roast until golden.
3. Remove and keep aside.
4. Add some more ghee and add the rava.
5. Roast until rava is golden, stirring from time to time.
6. Heat a heavy bottomed pan over medium flame.
7. Pour water and simmer for a few minutes.
8. Add the rava gradually and carrot pulp.
9. Mix well. Ensure no lumps are formed.
10. After couple of minutes add sugar, cardamom powder, cashew nuts and stir.
11. When the kesari stops sticking to the sides of the pan, switch off the flame and transfer to a greased plate or bowl.