Dwadasi is the day after Ekadasi and this avial is very popular during this day. Made with a minimum of 7 or 21 vegetables, it is healthy, delicious and easy to make.
Yellow Pumpkin (Parangikai) – 200 gms, chopped
White Pumpkin (Poosanikai) – 200 gms, chopped
Raw Banana (Green Plantain) – 2 small or 1 big
Potatoes – 200 gms
Carrots – 200 gms
Avarakkai – 200 gms
Vazhai Thandu (Banana Stem) – 1 big piece
Green Chillies – 10 to 12
Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
Coconut – 1
Coconut Oil – 1 tblsp
Plain Curd – 2 to 2 1/2 cups
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves – few, chopped
Coriander Leaves – few, chopped
Salt as per taste
1. Chop all the vegetables.
2. Heat a large pan over medium flame.
3. Add 1 to 2 cups of water.
4. Add turmeric powder and salt.
5. Add all the vegetables and cook until tender.
6. Grate the coconut.
7. Combine the coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds and little salt.
8. Grind to a coarse paste. Do not grind to a smooth paste.
9. Add curd to the ground paste and mix well.
10. Pour this into the pan and stir to mix well.
11. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from flame.
12. Heat coconut oil and fry the mustard seeds.
13. Pour this into the avial and mix.
14. Garnish with curry leaves and coriander leaves.
15. Serve with rice.
Tip: You can also add cucumber, chow chow, beans, brinjal, snake gourd (pudulangai), sundaikkai, mochai, karamani and green peas too if preffered.