A flavourful, delicious and simple biryani with methi leaves. Ideal for lunch or dinner and best served with a raita of choice.
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Vendhaya Keerai (Methi Leaves) – 1 bunch
Onions – 2, medium, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 2, finely chopped
Coconut Milk – 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
Salt as per taste
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Garlic – 2 cloves
Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2 to 3
Coriander Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon – a small piece
Ghee – 2 tblsp
1. Wash and soak the rice for 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Pressure cook till 3/4ths and keep aside.
3. Wash, clean and finely chop the leaves of vendhaya keerai.
4. Grind all the ingredients given for grinding to a smooth paste.
5. Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame.
6. Add the cinnamon and fry for 20 seconds.
7. Add the onions and saute for a minute.
8. Add the chopped leaves, a pinch of salt, turmeric powder and stir well.
9. Cook for a minute.
10. Add the tomatoes and ground paste.
11. Simmer until the raw smell disappears.
12. Add the coconut milk and enough salt.
13. Add the cooked rice and mix well.
14. Cover with a lid and cook until the rice is done, about 10 minutes.
15. Serve with raita of choice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !