Bamboo Rice (Moongil Arisi/மூங்கில் அரிசி) is a short-grained rice that is highly nutritious and healthy. It has higher protein than regular rice or wheat. It is a good source of Vitamin B6. It is also helpful for those with joint pain, back pain, diabetes and lowers cholesterol levels.
Bamboo Rice – 100 gms
Mixed Vegetables – 1/2 cup (green peas, carrot, beans, potato)
Onion – 1, small, finely chopped
Tomato – 1, small, finely chopped
Ghee – 2 tsp
Oil – 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Garlic – 1 clove
Green Chilli – 1
Coriander Leaves – 2 tblsp
Mint Leaves – 2 tblsp
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Coriander Powder – 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon – a small piece
Cardamoms – 2
Cloves – 2
Bay Leaf – 1
1. Soak the rice for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Heat ghee and oil in a pressure pan over medium flame.
3. Saute the tempering ingredients for 30 seconds.
4. Grind the ingredients given for grinding to a smooth paste and add to the pan.
5. Stir well for a minute.
6. Add the onions, tomatoes and saute for a minute.
7. Add the mixed vegetables and pour 1 cup of water.
8. Add salt and simmer for a minute or two.
9. Now add the rice and stir well.
10. Cover the pan with a lid and cook until 2-3 whistles.
11. Switch off the flame.
12. When the pressure has reduced, open the lid and gently fluff up the rice using a fork.
13. Serve with raita.