Bamboo, a plant that is often used for a variety of reasons across our country also yields a rare type of rice which can be obtained when the plant dries. Bamboo rice, also known as Mulayari is used to make various types of sweet dishes and other recipes during festivals.
It goes well with the regular dal or even with traditional South Indian curries and sambhars. It is extensively grown in the interiors of Wayanad Sanctuary in Kerala and is a little stickier than the regular rice.
Also, it is chewy and tastes a little sweeter than the regular ones. Its distinctive green color makes it easily identifiable and provides numerous health benefits as well.
Bamboo rice is superior to most other types of rice and has qualities of super food. It has a high amount of calcium, low-fat content and is rich in carbohydrates, fiber, proteins, and Vitamin B. Moreover, it reduces signs of aging, helps to lose weight and detoxifies the body.
It is also recommended to people suffering from diabetes. Therefore, it is a great option to include in our regular meals.
Bamboo rice biryani is made with a mix of different vegetables that you can choose depending on what your favorite ones are but the vegetable like beans, carrot, peas and potato complement this recipe perfectly.
You can have this biryani with raita. Curd which is a favorite of many, adds a special flavor to this perfectly cooked meal. The raita can be made of cucumber, tomatoes, and onion or to add to the minty flavor, you can make a pudina (mint) raita too.
Garnish this biryani with coriander and do not forget to place it in the center of your dining table as everyone will surely have a go at it!
Bamboo Rice Biryani
different vegetables that you can choose depending on what your favorite ones
Ingredients for Bamboo Rice Biryani
- 100 gms Bamboo Rice
- 1/2 cup Mixed Vegetable green peas, carrot, beans, potato
- 1 no Onion small, finely chopped
- 1 no Tomato small, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Oil
- as per taste Salt
- 1 no Garlic Clove
- 1 no Green Chilli
- 2 tblsp Coriander Leaves
- 2 tblsp Mint Leaves
- 1/2 inch Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- a small pice Cinnamon
- 2 nos Cardamoms
- 2 no Cloves
- 1 no Bay Leaf
How to make Bamboo Rice Biryani
- Soak the rice for 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat ghee and oil in a pressure pan over medium flame.
- Saute the tempering ingredients for 30 seconds.
- Grind the ingredients given for grinding to a smooth paste and add to the pan.
- Stir well for a minute.
- Add the onions, tomatoes and saute for a minute.
- Add the mixed vegetables and pour 1 cup of water.
- Add salt and simmer for a minute or two.
- Now add the rice and stir well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook until 2-3 whistles.
- Switch off the flame.
- When the pressure has reduced, open the lid and gently fluff up the rice using a fork.
- Serve with raita.
image via youtube
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !