Brinjal – 400 gms, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Brown rice – 2 cups, washed, soaked in water for 30 mins and drained
Water – 4 cups
Turmeric – 2 1/2 tsp
Butter – 4 tbsp
Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Cayenne powder – 1 pinch
Black pepper powder – 1 pinch
Red bell pepper – 1, sliced
Onion – 1, sliced
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
1. Take a heavy bottomed saucepan. Put in 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp turmeric powder, water and rice into it. Wait till it boils and then cover it and simmer till rice is done.
2. Now, take another large saucepan. Put the butter into it and heat it.
3. Next, put the poppy and large mustard seeds. Stir for 2 minutes before you add the remaining turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cayenne and black pepper powders. Cook it for 2 minutes, stirring it all the while.
4. Then add the onion, red pepper and the egg plant. This will have to be cooked till the vegetables become tender. This will take around 10 minutes. To this add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
5. Mix the rice and vegetables together.