Masoor dal – 3 cups (split)
Rice – 1/4 cup
Onion – 1 1/2 cups, chopped
Olive oil – 75 ml
Vegetable stock – 9 cups
Tomato paste – 2 tsp
Spearmint – 2 tsp (dried)
Chilli paste – 1/2 tsp
Lemon – 2
Salt and pepper – as per taste
1. Thoroughly wash and reserve the dal.
2. Fry the onions in olive oil until they turn golden. Add tomato and chilli paste and stir to mix well.
3. Add vegetable stock and keep on flame to bring at a boiling state.
4. Add spearmint and stir well. Cover the bowl and boil in a simmer flame for 20 minutes until the lentil softens.
5. Add salt and pepper as required.
Serve hot with a lemon slice within (optional).