Mint Rice is a very simple and delicious dish perfect for lunch time or dinner. This variation uses kodo millet (varagarisi) instead of regular rice and is equally tasty and healthy.
Varagarisi (Kodo Millet) – 2 cups
Mint Leaves – 1 bunch
Dry Red Chillies – 4 to 5
Green Chillies – 8 to 10
Tamarind – a small lemon sized ball
Garlic – 2 cloves
Oil – 1/2 cup
Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Peanuts (or Cashew Nuts) – 1 1/2 tblsp
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Coconut – 2 1/2 tblsp, grated
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Add 6 cups of water to varagarisi and pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles or until cooked.
2. Remove and transfer to a hot box (hot pack).
3. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan over medium flame.
4. Saute the mint leaves, green chillies, tamarind, garlic, coconut and salt for a minute or two.
5. Remove, cool and grind to a thick paste.
6. In a separate pan, add 2 tsp oil and fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, bengal gram dal, peanuts, dry red chillies, asafoetida and curry leaves for a minute.
7. Add the ground mint paste and saute for a minute.
8. Add the varagarisi and enough salt.
9. Reduce flame to low and stir well.
10. When it has mixed well, remove from flame and serve warm.