5 tbsp Ghee
1 cup Broken wheat
1/2 cup Mung dal
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp Salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup Grated fresh coconut
1 sprig Curry leaves
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Black peppercorns
1. Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a frying pan over moderate heat. Add broken wheat and fry ove low heat for atleast 5 minutes, stirring continously.
2. Add dal and fry for 1-2 mnutes.
3. Sprinkle in turmeric powder and salt. Give it a stir and transfer to a pressure cooker.
4. Pour in 4 cups water. Cook under pressure for 5-7 minutes. Allow pressure to fall on it own before opening cooker.
5. Transfer pongal to a frying pan. Add remaining ghee, coconut, curry leaves and spice powder.
6. Mix well and remove from heat.
Serve hot with any chutney of choice.