Maida – 1 cup (100 gms)
Sugar – 1 1/2 cups
Kesar colour – little
Ghee – 1/2 cup
Broken cashewnuts – 1 tblsp
Melon seeds – 1 tblsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
1. Prepare a thick dough from maida by adding just enough water.
2. Pour 1 1/4 cup water in a vessel, put this dough in the water to soak for 1/2 an hour.
3. Mix this with hands gently, so that milky extract comes from the dough.
4. Little solid shiny jell like substance, which comes to hand should be removed.
5. Strain the milk through a fine mesh sieve.
6. Keep closed in that vessel for 6 to 8 hours without disturbing it in between.
7. Take out the clear water, which comes on top carefully in a separate vessel.
8. Add half cup of this water to the sugar and keep it on fire in a heavy kadai.
9. Stir till one string consistency is reached.
10. Dilute the sediment with little more fresh water and pour into the boiling syrup stirring constantly.
11. Add lemon juice, colour and stir constantly till it becomes very thick and transparent.
12. Add half of the ghee and stir till it gets absorbed into halwa.
13. Pour rest of the ghee and stir again till it gets absorbed.
14. Stir constantly again till it leaves out ghee and the halwa becomes a thick ball like mass in the centre of kadai.
15. Remove from fire. Add fried nuts and cardamom powder.
16. Mix for 1 or 2 minutes and pour on a greased burfi tray.
17. Cut into pieces after 1/2 an hour.