Whole Cashews – 1 cup
Sugar – 1 1/4 cup
Water – 3/4 cup
Rice flour – 1 tsp
Milk – 2 tsp
Cardamom powder – little
Ghee – 1 tsp
1. Dry roast cashew nuts in reduced flame, taking caution not to discolour it. Alternatively keep it in hot oven at lowest temperature for 10 minutes to dry it properly.
2. Heat sugar, water together and stir till it is dissolved.
3. Add milk and boil briskly. Milk helps in separating dirt from sugar.
4. Remove dirt which comes on top using a spoon. This is a must to obtain white coated cashews.
5. When one string consistency is reached, remove from fire.
6. Add roasted cashews and keep stirring till it becomes thick.
7. Using a perforated ladle take cashews alone and keep it in a separate vessel.
8. Sprinkle a pinch of rice flour on top of cashews.
9. Heat remaining sugar by adding little more water till it reaches thick string consistency.
10. Remove from fire and allow to cool for a while. Stirring constantly, pour it on top of cashews in the other vessel, little by little, gently stirring the cashews to coat on all the sides.
11. Sprinkle little rice flour when it is still warm on top of cashews. This helps to retain white colour on cashews.
12. Repeat the process 4-5 times till cashews are thickly coated.
13. While doing final coat add cardamom powder and ghee to the syrup after removing from fire. Ghee gives good shine to the final product.
14. Allow the cashews to cool thoroughly by spreading over a broad plate and then pack it in air tight container.