Grind to a smooth paste
4 dried Rec chillies
1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Fennel seeds
1-2 tsp Water
For the Dough
1 1/2 cups Refined flour
1/2 tsp Salt (to taste)
1 tsp Butter
Oil for deep frying
1. Boil potatoes in their jackets. Peel and mash well.
2. Add cashew nuts, salt, coriander leaves and spice paste to potatoes. Mix till well blended and set aside.
3. Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in butter till it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 1/3 – 1/2 cup water gradually and knead to make a stiff dough. Knead for at least 10 minutes till smooth and pliable.
4. Divide dough into 14-15 equal portions.
5. On a floured board, roll each portion of dough into a 4 inch disc. Place a tbsp of filling along one half.
6. Dab a little water along the edges, and fold the other half over filling to cover completely and form a semicircle. Flatten gently and seal the edges by pressing down with a fork. Make remaining somasi in the same way.
7. Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Lower heat to moderate and fry somasi in batches, turning frequently, till golden and crisp.
8. Drain and place on kitchen paper to absord excell oil.
Serve hot with chutney.