1/4 cup Chana dal
1/4 cup Tuvar dal
2 tbsp Rice grains
3-4 dried Red chillies
1 Green chilli
4 tbsp finely shredded Cabbage
2 tbsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
1 tsp Salt (to taste)
Oil for deep frying
1. Combine both dals with rice. Wash and soak together in 1 1/2 cups water for 1 hour.
2. Drain dals and rice and grind to a coarse dough with red chillies and green chilli, gradually adding 5-6 tbsp water.
3. Mix in cabbage, coriander leaves and salt.
4. Heat oil in a deep frying pan to smoking point. Shape dough into small lime sized balls, lower heat to moderate and deep fry bonda in batches, till golden.
5. Drain and place on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
6. Serve hot with chutney.