3/4 cup Chana dal
3 dried Red chillies
1 tsp Fennel seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
2 medium sized Onions, finely chopped
1 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 cup chopped Basil (Thulasi)
Oil for deep frying
1. Wash dal and soak in water with red chillies, fennel seeds and cumin seeds for 1 hour.
2. Drain and grind to make a coarse batter, gradually adding 1/3-1/2 cup water.
3. Add onions, salt and basil. Mix well.
4. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
5. Wet your hands, take a ladle of batter and flatten it into a 2 inch round patty. Slip gently into hot oil.
6. Fry vadai in batches over moderate heat, turning frequently, till golden brown and crisp.
7. Drain and place on kitchen paper to absord excess oil
Serve hot with chutney.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !