1 cup sago (Javvarisi)
1 cup regular rice
2 tbsp sour curd
2 onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
oil for shallow frying
Ground to a paste
4-6 green chillies
1/2 inch piece ginger, grated
1 tbsp water
1. Wash sago and soak in 1 water for 1 hour. Wash rice and soak in water for 1 hour.
2. Drain rice and grind to a coarse batter, gradually adding 3/4 – 1 cup water.
3. When rice is half-ground add sago and grind till smooth, gradually adding 3/4 – 1 cup water.
4. Mix in sour curd, onions, coriander leaves, salt and ground paste.
5. Add more water if necessary to make a batter of thick, dropping consistency.
6. Take a large ladle of batter to form a 1/4 inch thick oothappam and cook on both sides.
Serve hot with dosa milaga podi or coconut chutney.