1 1/2 cups parboiled rice
1/2 cup urad dal
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
ghee or oil for shallow frying
8-10 tsp dosai milaga podi
1 cup chopped coriander leaves
1. Wash rice and soak in water for 6 hours. Combine dal with fenugreek seeds, wash and soak in water for 6 hours.
2. Drain rice and grind to make a smooth batter, gradually adding 1 – 1 1/4 cups water.
3. Drain dal and grind till light and fluffy, gradually adding 1/2-3/4 cup water.
4. Combine both batters, mix in salt and set aside to ferment and get a little sour for 10-12 hours.
5. Add a little water if necessary to make a batter of thick pouring consistency.
6. Pour a large ladle of batter into centre of tawa to make 1/4 inch thick oothappam. Do not spread the batter thin like a dosai. Drizzle 1 tsp ghee or oil around edges. Sprinkle 1 tsp dosa milaga podi evenly over oothappam. Cover with 2 tbsp of coriander leaves.
7. Raise heat and cook for 1-2 minutes till base is golden brown. Turn over carefully and fry the other side till crisp and golden.
Serve hot with sambar or coconut chutney.